Adult Career Trek
We’re looking for employers to partner in our Adult Career Trek pilot on June 17 – 21, 2019.
Adult Career Trek is a joint pilot project of Career Trek Inc. and Essential Skills Manitoba (ESM) which takes participants to five different employers during a week to showcase various jobs and related essential skills. During this week the learners spend a full day with each employer and experience realistic job scenarios and skills that truly explain what a job in that field requires, looks, feels, smells, sounds, and even tastes like.
|Funding provided by:||The Government of Canada|
|The Manitoba government|
In December 2018 and March 2019, seven companies in Winnipeg partnered in the first two rotations of the pilot
The employers have been happy participating in the program. Many citing the need for alternative recruitment opportunities and insight into how potential employees view career potential in that field. They believe it is a great way to showcase all the things the company does while increasing employee potential and giving back to the community. Quotes from project evaluation:
- “Overall I feel the project is an excellent way to expose participants to various career opportunities”
- “The amount of support and prior planning was excellent”
- “The Career Trek day…was awesome. The students or participants were excellent. Everyone seemed to enjoy the activities that took place…I think it went very well and would be interested in doing it again”
Types of jobs or occupations experienced by the participants
- Bartender/Server Restaurant cook, Housekeeper, Front Desk/Customer Service
- Apprentice boilermaker, Apprentice welder
- Second Press Person, Production Assistant
- Construction electrician, Apprentice electrician, Power tool safety
- Mechanical helper, Carpenter helper, Administration, Flag person, Wash-bay assistant
- Information Kiosk Attendant
- Site Maintenance Worker
- Parking Patrol
- Machine Operator
- Machine Technician
- “This week at Career Trek was a good experience. I enjoyed the whole entire week and experience everything that we did. It was good to see the differences in the jobs. It was just a great experience.”
- “I think it was too short, but at the same time it was a wonderful experience. At first when the list was presented I thought ‘Oh my god, this is more male dominated fields’ but as the week progressed I realized that women have a chance at doing it as well. My favourite so far was electrician, I’m thinking of applying and that might be a potential career and I thank Career Trek for pointing me in that direction as I was rather lost. I feel that this is great, what Career Trek has done, providing an opportunity to expand our horizons and I look forward to the next one.”
- I came into [Career Trek] kind of uneasy and I pushed myselfeveryday and at the end I just did it! I want to come back!”
Following Adult Career Trek, ESM provides the participants with more focused training through Reach Forward modules to help them better connect the required skills and increase their confidence in pursuing these employment opportunities.
Benefits for the employers:
- Potential candidates for recruitment
- Increased insights for effective recruitment
- Increased effectiveness of on-boarding and training of future hires
- Better fit of potential and new employees to occupations in your organization
- Increased employee retention rates
We work closely with employers to create a hands-on experience for participants that best suits the needs of both employees and employer with minimal disruption. Safety instructions and requirements, an orientation to the industry employment trends as well as reflection on their learning are facilitated during each day of the project.
Spend one day during the week of June 17 – 21 showcasing work that is done at your company to your potential employees!
They want to share your passion for this employment and your company!
For more information, contact:
Special Projects Coordinator
Career Trek Inc.
9th Floor, 191 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 0X1
Office: (204) 944-1800 ext. 151
Fax: (204) 942-4912
Toll free: 1-800-693-3864