Adult Career Trek
We’re looking for employers to partner in our Adult Career Trek program!
Adult Career Trek is a joint project with Career Trek Inc. and Essential Skills Manitoba (ESM) which takes participants to five different employers during a week to showcase various jobs and related essential skills. During this week the learners spend a full day with each employer and experience realistic job scenarios and skills that truly explain what a job in that field requires.
We work closely with employers to create a hands-on experience for participants that best suits the needs of both employees and employer with minimal disruption. Participants will receive safety instructions and requirements, an orientation to the industry, and employment trends.
Benefits for the employers:
- Potential candidates for recruitment
- Increased insights for effective recruitment
- Increased effectiveness of on-boarding and training of future hires
- Better fit of potential and new employees to occupations in your organization
- Increased employee retention rates
“The Career Trek day…was awesome. The students or participants were excellent. Everyone seemed to enjoy the activities that took place…I think it went very well and would be interested in doing it again”Adult Career Trek Employer
All past employers enjoyed participating in the program. Many citing the need for alternative recruitment opportunities and insight into how potential employees view career potential in that field. They believe it is a great way to showcase all the things the company does while increasing employee potential and giving back to the community.
- “Overall I feel the project is an excellent way to expose participants to various career opportunities”
- “The amount of support and prior planning was excellent”
Types of jobs or occupations experienced by the participants
- Front Desk/Customer Service
- Maintenance Worker
- Parking Patrol
- Apprentice Boilermaker
- Apprentice Welder
- Manufacturing Assistant
- Construction Electrician
- Apprentice Electrician
- Mechanical Helper
- Carpenter Helper
- Office Administrator
- Wash-bay Assistant
- “This week at Career Trek was a good experience. I enjoyed the whole entire week and experience everything that we did. It was good to see the differences in the jobs. It was just a great experience.”
- “I think it was too short, but at the same time it was a wonderful experience. At first when the list was presented I thought ‘Oh my god, this is more male dominated fields’ but as the week progressed I realized that women have a chance at doing it as well. My favourite so far was electrician, I’m thinking of applying and that might be a potential career and I thank Career Trek for pointing me in that direction as I was rather lost. I feel that this is great, what Career Trek has done, providing an opportunity to expand our horizons and I look forward to the next one.”
- I came into [Career Trek] kind of uneasy and I pushed myself everyday and at the end I just did it! I want to come back!”
Following Adult Career Trek, ESM provides the participants with more focused training through Reach Forward modules to help them better connect the required skills and increase their confidence in pursuing these employment opportunities.
More information on what Adult Career Trek will look like in the 2020/2021 programming year is coming soon!
For more information, contact:
|Funding provided by:||The Government of Canada||The Manitoba government|
Realizing Manitoba’s Workforce Potential