Education Savings Resources

Education Savings Program: Choose the Future!

In Career Trek participants have the opportunity to learn about many careers, try out various occupations and experience what it is like to go to post-secondary school. In addition, the Education Savings Coordinator at Career Trek can also help connect families to education savings resources. These resources can help families save and pay for their child’s education after high school.

Education Savings resources – what does that include?


Registered Education Savings Plans (RESPs) 


What is an RESP?

One way you can start to save for your child’s education after high school is through an RESP. This is a special kind of savings plan, where money is put aside for your child’s post-secondary education journey. Money can be added by you, family members, or friends. The Government of Canada can also add some extra savings.

Why open an RESP?

This money can be used for going to university, college, trade school and more! An RESP can help pay for tuition, textbooks, living expenses and the list goes on. RESPs can be used for full-time or part-time studies. Plans can stay open for up to 36 years – this means your child does not have to attend post-secondary right after high school.

The point is – RESPs are flexible and your child has many options for how to use the money to help them succeed!

How to open an RESP?

RESPs can be opened at most financial institutions (such as banks or credit unions). Many have options to open RESPs with no fees and no need for families to put in any money themselves. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is needed for both parent and child to open an RESP.

Career Trek and the Canadian Scholarship Trust Foundation work together to connect community members with education savings resources and support. Through this partnership, we can help you find the tools  to save for your child’s post-secondary education. A CST Consultants sales representative (including Career Trek’s Danielle Hollinger) can help you open an RESP through Canadian Scholarship Trust. To learn more about RESPs or talk to a sales representative yon can visit-

SmartSAVER is an online resource that provides information on RESPs and Government Grants. You can also start an application for an RESP online. Check it out at:


Government Grants


Did you know you can get up to $2,000 of FREE money for your child’s future education?

Yes, REALLY! It’s called the Canada Learning Bond or CLB. To start, the Canada Learning Bond is $500 offered by the Government of Canada to help you save for your child’s education after high school. Plus, your child could get $100 every year until he or she turns 15 years old, to a maximum of $2,000!

Is your child eligible to get the Canada Learning Bond?

The answer is YES if:

  • Your child was born on or after January 1, 2004,
  • Your child is a Canadian resident,
  • AND based on the family net income.

Also if the child is in care of a public agency, they automatically qualify.

To view the 2018-2019 income levels for the CLB (by number of children):

How do I apply for the Canada Learning Bond for my child?

To get the Canada Learning Bond, you have to open an RESP account for your child with a licensed RESP provider. Career Trek can help you decide what the best option is for you.

What’s the catch?

The Canada Learning Bond can only be used for post-secondary education. If your child does not continue their education after high school, then the Canada Learning Bond will have to be returned to the Government. However, accounts can remain open for up to 36 years, so there is time for your child to decide what to do.

Even if your child doesn’t qualify for the Canada Learning Bond, you can still get money from the Government for your child’s education with the Canada Education Savings Grant.


What is the Canada Education Savings Grant?


The Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) is money that the Government of Canada deposits into your child’s RESP if you contribute money to the account.

The CESG has two parts:

  • The Basic Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) – Provides 20% on every dollar you save to a maximum of $500 every year. Available to anyone who has an RESP and contributes money.
  • The Additional Canada Education Savings Grant (ACESG) – Based on your family income and will provide an extra 10% or 20% on the first $500 you save every year.
  • The lifetime maximum of the CESG and the ACESG is $7,200.

To view the Canada Education Savings Program:


If you would like more information on RESPs, the Canada Learning Bond or the Canada Education Savings Grant please feel free to chat with Career Trek’s Education Savings Coordinator through the contact methods at the bottom of this page.


Have a question? Please contact:


Danielle Hollinger, Education Savings Coordinator 
T: 204-944-1800 ext. 154
F: 204-942-4912
E: [email protected]