M-Power North is a career exploration and career development program designed for young moms aged 15-25, living in Northern Manitoba. The program provides the opportunity to explore careers through hands-on, experiential lessons, spanning a number of sectors including trades, technology, natural resources, STEM and healthcare. The program will also work to incorporate land-based education that will bring learning to the participants from an Indigenous perspective.
Participants will explore careers through interactive lessons that provide insight into specific jobs while also supporting the women in enhancing important 21st century employability skills. Skill building workshops give participants knowledge in the areas of resume writing, networking, interview skills, financial literacy and other essential skills. Participants will also hear from inspiring women in the community, who will share their personal and career development stories, along with the lessons they've learned along the way.
The program helps participants develop greater confidence and employability skills, set education and career goals, and develop plans for the future. M-Power moms build better lives for themselves and their children.
The M-Power Power North program helps young moms believe in their dreams and make them reality. M-Power helps participants take control of their lives. They become their own education and career champions.
What We Do
- Engaging hands-on lessons
- Career development education that helps you make important personal choices
- Success Story Spotlight: in which professional women in the community come to talk to the young mothers about their experiences, successes, and their own career journey.
- Reflection: the young mothers get to reflect on the careers, determining what they liked or did not like, and whether the career fit their lifestyle, values, and goals.
- Childcare: Onsite childcare for preschool age children is provided for the young mothers so they can focus on their own personal growth and development while their children are safe and taken care of.
Should COVID restrictions remain in effect, Career Trek will implement a hybrid model of programming. This would include in-person lessons with careful regulations and safety protocol, as well as online lessons, seminars, and workshops.